What you’ll need:
for the applesauce
- 4 apples (firm and tart)
- (Brown) sugar (to taste)
- 1 vanilla bean (I’m sure extract will work just as well)
- Some water
- About 1/2 cup almonds flakes
- (Brown) sugar
- Whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- Dutch windmill cookies (you can substitute with other cookies, like amaretti or cantuccini)
- A little hot water
- Optional: Amaretto, rum or Licor 43 (or any sweet liqueur ;) )
- Peel, core and dice the apples.
- In a sauce pan combine apples, cinnamon, sugar and scraped vanilla from one vanilla bean.
- Add some water.
- Cover and cook until the apples are soft. Stir occasionally.
- Mash with a fork or potato masher. (We left some bigger chunks of apples)
- Let cool.
- In a frying pan over a low heat, melt some butter.
- Add the almond flakes and sugar.
- Toss frequently until golden brown.
- Watch the nuts closely, as they can turn from done to burnt quickly.
- Whip the cream on medium speed.
- Just before it’s done, add the scraped vanilla of one vanilla bean.
- In a bowl, cover the cookies with some hot water.
- Mush with a fork.
- Optional: Add some liqueur.
I’m partying here! ♥