Welcome to this week’s floral friday! This is another photo shoot I did last week in my mom’s backyard: Lilies of the valley.
In German they’re called “Maiglöckchen”, which translates to “May bells”. Makes sense.. They bloom in May and look like bells. ;)
They are so delicate looking.. Beautiful!
My hubby and I are about to leave for Groningen in the Netherlands, which is about a 2 hour drive away. We’re going to spend the day, window shop and hopefully get to take some nice pictures to bring back to share. Have I told you that I love being done with my thesis and actually get to do things like this again? ;)
A few facts about lilies of the valley:
- Lilies of the valley are used for perfumes, due to their sweet scent.
- They love shade and cooler temperatures.
- Lilies of the valley are widely popular as wedding flowers.
- Lilies of the valley have been used in herbal medicine as a poison antidote, to treat epilepsy, to strengthen speech, and to enhance memory. That said, all parts of the plant are poisonous. (source)
- Although it is considered toxic, it has been used to treat heart disease. Ointments and teas from this plant are used for burns, fever and as a diuretic and sedative. (source)
I’m partying here! ♥