I love flowers and the variety of color and shape they come in!
They make me smile and make the grey winter days a little brighter.
Every Friday I will try and feature a flower to share with you — for a colorful start in the weekend.
I’m starting with a cheerful reminder of spring: tulips that I bought a couple days ago and which are starting to opening up a little now. I love how whimsical the shape of the stems is, yet, how strong they are to hold their big beautiful heads up high.
|photo via fotowelt: tulip field in northern holland
A few facts about tulips:
- there are nearly 3,000 different varieties of tulips.
- the majority of cultivated tulips are grown and exported from Holland.
- almost half of Holland’s flower bulb farms grow tulips.
- tulip is the third most popular flower in the world.
- tulips are available from November to May and only have a life span of about 3–7 days.
- tulip bulbs are a good substitution for onions when cooking.